Project management made easy!
Project management can seem scary and rather intimidating. The whole aim of this programme is to give people a simple and straightforward way of dealing with projects without having to use complex and confusing systems.
This two-day course is designed to introduce the apparently complex world of project management in a simple and practical manner. The programme is for anybody who has to run a project of any nature. It has been attended by people from as diverse fields as events management, fashion, charities, oil companies and so on. The programme is run without using any IT project management systems although an introduction can be given if required.
At the end of the programme participants will leave understanding:
- What a project is and why projects are so important today
- The roles of a project manager
- Some key language and concepts
- A simple 5-step model for organising projects
- How to make sure you understand what your ‘client’ really wants
- A set of three simple tools to plan the project
- How to make decisions
- What to monitor when the project is running
- How to close the project
Who should attend?
- Instructor-led sessions
- Practical exercises
The maximum that can be effectively trained at once is 12, and the programme can be tailored to a specific area or industry if needed.
Neil’s work gets great results, as the following selection of feedback comments shows:
‘There is no doubt that the work Neil did with us set us up for the 15-20% growth that we subsequently achieved.’ Keith Howes, Managing Director, Sysmex UK
‘Following Neil’s advice, I believe my team’s productivity increased by 60-70% in one month.’ Team leader, Conveyancing Service
‘Neil – you not only changed how I talk to my team, you changed how I talk to my children. Thank you!’ Course participant
‘By implementing what Neil suggested in the programme, I achieved a 40% drop in absenteeism and sickness in one month.’ Centre manager
‘Neil listens and asks questions that to the quick of what’s really going on – not the story I kept on telling myself. After several coaching sessions, I felt clear enough about my goals to set up my own business and much calmer about my ability to achieve my goals, whereas before I’d felt overwhelmed and daunted at the prospect.’ Coaching client
- What is the aim of this programme?
2 Background thinking
- What is a project?
- The project manager’s eternal triangle (cost-quality-time)
- What are the characteristics of successful projects?
- Who are the key characters in a project?
- What are the roles of a project manager?
3 The project process
- Why have one?
4 Project initiation
- What is the aim?
- Identifying key information
- Key skill: mission analysis
- Initial risk analysis
- Document and sign-off
5 Decision-making – ‘Stop, Think, Act!’
- The ‘Stop, Think, Act!’ technique
- Recognise the opportunity to make a decision
- The 3 Cs – making sure we understand the decisions we have to make
- Identifying options
- Making your decision
- Taking it to action
7 The planning stage
- Identify all discrete tasks
- Sequence and dependencies
- Time line – critical path
- Project base-line
8 Execution stage – delivering the result
9 The project close
- Have we delivered?
- What have we learned?
Any questions? Please just give us a call on 01582 463463 – we’re here to help!